The battle of jutland recreated.

Hi, I think its cured now a re build of thr selector box, some old bits and some new its out for a test on sunday,!!
The 450 passed its test today so its a shake down run this week end for this one also, just want to get it right for colombrs
in october, just hope we dont get the rain like italy…

I did the Club Terni event this year. Seems to have been little feedback anywhere on the events. :confused:
First Giro and was curious how the two events compared.
Did the Tourist class as have no real inclination in the “competitive” side, especially as you have no hope of winning unless you are a local!
Having said that, they were a fantastic bunch of people, competitors were from all over and super friendly, routes were simply stunning, food and hotels excellent (5+ course dinner including drink every night!!!)and cost a lot less than the DE event.
Would certainly do it again. Next year is likely to be Sardinia I’m told. Will be interesting to see if they can hold their prices next time.

Hi desmo, its good to hear they made a good job of it, i thought the DE event just wasnt the same this year,
I felt it was no longer an event run by bikers for bikers but more to make money,
If its sardinia i may go next year, i did the last 2 in sicily the east side of the island i think is great put some poor roads,
the west like syracuse is bussy, and the ferrys are good.
I think you are right in saying only a local will ever win !! but my team mate won the 125 class i just got piped to 3rd by 2.5 secs, as you know any body can break down even the italians, and a lot binned it in the rain this year…
what did it cost by the way ?

Hi Auburn.
One of these trips where I deliberately didn’t want to think about what I spent. Bit like spending money on bike bits! :open_mouth:
However with the exchange rate jumping around I think it was about £550 plus the travel costs.
Given the standard of the hotels and that all your food and drink was inclusive it is not bad.
The Club Terni people were concentrating on making it a success, and by all accounts it was,rather than making profits.

Hi thanks for that, looks like the one for me next year, work permiting. :smiley:

The other factor that swung it for me was that I reckoned all my money was going straight into the event (Club Terni) and not perhaps for to other “bodies” who were running it as a business. :wink: :slight_smile:

I was kinda holding off replying to this, but what the heck … It was my first Motogiro, too - 450 SCR, btw.

Good points:

1. Chris Bushell’s heroic efforts in organising the transport and all the rest that went before. Absolutely Top Man.
  2. The fellow riders from the UK.
  3. It was in Italy.

Bad points:

1. Appalling organisation, even by Italian standards (and I speak as someone who has been to WDW!) For example, how about 2 hours in a queue just to register?
  2. Pointless and silly time trials which, for example, required you to go around some cones to within a tenth (or less? I forget …) of a second. (“Yeh? Really? Like, who cares? And no, I don’t have an cast aluminium billet holder for my digital stopwatch, or a special handle-bar mounted trigger to operate it …”)
  3. Pretty unfriendly, except amongst the fellow Brits. It was pretty obvious that the event is really just for the Italians, with the foreigners - certainly in the Taglioni classs, at least - allowed to come along to keep the costs down.
  4. Too many promises not delivered, for example: secure overnight parking - we even got turfed out of one of the hotel car parks, leaving the bikes parked on the street.
  5. A truly dismal finishing ‘event’.
  6. Simply too expensive. You can do these roads yourself and stay in small, more characterful hotels for much, much less.

There - I’ve said my piece! I’m sure others will think differently :slight_smile:

Ciao

Craig

Steve sits back and watches the blue touch paper burning extreamly slowly…
I can’t believe it’s been up here all day without a single comment!
The clubs discipline cadre school has obviously missed me out.

Steve R

That reminds me I’m off for a ride on my blue frame now, to my girlfiend Claudia Schiffer’s house (Its OK my wife doesn’t mind) before I get in my private jet to go to Italy to see how my new Desmosedici is coming on…

Sorry if we have drifted off topic! :blush: Perhaps someone can “move” this onto a new thread?
Couple of Scramblers on the event as well! :slight_smile:
However the bad points listed for the Dream Engine event sort of match up with the Club Terni insofar as there was a big wait to register.
Couple of the hotels didn’t have secure car parking but that is I guess a difficult one as trying to find a hotel that can cater for those numbers that also has secure parking will be restrictive. We were never on the street though.
The “race” element involves time trials as you describe however if you enter in the Tourist" class you don’t take part in those and therefore can’t win a prize (but you never would anyway as there seems to be a few Italians who do nothing with their lives but practise riding 10 metres in 6 seconds :confused: ) but then you do save 200 euros on your entry.
As regards “foreigners” I have to say the reception given to all who took part was brilliant. The dinners at each evening (inclusive in the price!) turned out to be one of the highlights with the police joining in the nonsense.
I made several Italian contacts through the event and I am in touch with them on a regular basis.
As regards value for money I would have struggled to stay in 4 star hotels dinner B&B for the price of the entry fee.
I think you have to accept any event in Italy is going to be less organised and not get stressed by it.
There are write ups in Sept. “The Classic Motor Cycle” and “Motorcycle Sport & Leisure” if anyone is interested.