748 Air Filter

So looking to replace mine and found some that go over the inlets (inside the airbx) as opposed to the OEM ones in the air ducts.

Are these worth the extra money (more than twice the price) and does anyone have any feedback if they are running one.

Ones I have found in particular are Pipercross and JHP circa £50.

Thanks

Looked at these for the 916.
And have a mate that has fitted on to his sps his concern was he had seen a couple of posts where a pop rivett or such had come loose and sucked into the inlet.

Other than that i do not belive they have a significant performance gain over the conventional system.

Hmmm, in two minds with it really.

Some say it offers much better protection (stuff still gets in past the air duct ones) but then others mention fuelling issues due to reduced air volume in the air box.

Perhaps replacing the OEM ones and coating the inside of the air ducts with lube (to catch some stuff) is the way to go for now.

The old style JHP/Pipercross filters that fit over the bell mouths/inlet trumpets inside the air box, haven’t got any pop rivets involved in their construction?
They’re a large lozenge shaped foam/sponge filter that just stretches over/tightly fits over the bell mouths and sits inside the OEM air box.
On a completely sealed intake system (748/9*6) they can upset the pressure waves created inside the “Plenum chamber” air box on a seriously tuned motor, but on a stock or slightly tuned motor the difference isn’t really worth worrying about, as they’ll flow more air than the OEM filters.

Steve R

I have an Itg foam Bellmouth Filter in the shed somewhere. You can have it for £10+postage if you want to try it.

There have been some horror stories about the foam getting sucked into the bellmouth, but the Itg one has a plastic supporting framework inside.

Steve B

That would be very nice of you. Happy to pay that amount for an experiment.

Thanks

The old style JHP/Pipercross filters that fit over the bell mouths/inlet trumpets inside the air box, haven’t got any pop rivets involved in their construction?
They’re a large lozenge shaped foam/sponge filter that just stretches over/tightly fits over the bell mouths and sits inside the OEM air box.
On a completely sealed intake system (748/9*6) they can upset the pressure waves created inside the “Plenum chamber” air box on a seriously tuned motor, but on a stock or slightly tuned motor the difference isn’t really worth worrying about, as they’ll flow more air than the OEM filters.

Steve R
[/quote]
No foam has no pop rivets, the comment was they can be used to stop anything going into the engine.
I.e. the pop rivets from the standard air duct tubes.

Hi Smidsy

I will look it out when I get back from the TT and get some details from you.

Steve B

Just to weigh in. My 996 has a JHP/Pipercross fitted and I havent had any issues whatsoever. I know the dealer I get mine serviced at always looks down his nose at it, but then again, I think he does that as it means he doesnt get to sell me the standard stuff at service. Anyway, no problems here so a happy bunny.