749s Fuel Mapping

Hi all,
Can anyone help with a known good PC3 map for a standard 2005 749s engine with race intake filters and slightly opened up custom exhaust, I have tried the options on the PC cd but have over fuelling and a hole at 4 to 5k :cry:

Rick

have you downloaded any maps from the power commander website?
oodles on there and free too

Thanks, I had looked on PC site, After looking again I found 2 more maps to play with :slight_smile:

nice one
if they dont work its a trip to the dyno im afraid
on the up side youll have a perfect map for the bike

Hi Riccardo,

Now that looks a very interesting bike, could you please tell me/us more about it?

Iā€™ve mates whoā€™ve put a ST3 motor into a 900SL, S4R, ST4, ST4S, 996SPSā€™s into 851/888ā€™s, Steve Hillrary put a 748 incā€™ the single sided swinging arm into a 900 Monster at least 15 years ago, possibly more?
But it was looong before the factory got around to putting 4 valve watercooled motors into the Monsters.
ā€¦and Keef Groverfill has built a ST4S based sidecar outfit, but HE IS an eccentric chap! :wink:

Iā€™ve built a 128 rwbhp 916cc 851 motor into my '92 851 and Iā€™ve got all the parts to build a ā€œNewā€ 955 or 984cc motor using unused late ST4 Crankcases, waiting for me to get around to it.
So I find specials like yours interesting, did you build it yourself?

Steve R

Hi Steve, hereā€™s a copy of the build I posted on Multistrada.net. Sorry its a bit long winded.

Multistrada 749s Project

The Red Devil has passed away; long live the new Red Devil!

My much loved DS 1000 Multistrada having covered 27k has suffered oil starvation to the Horizontal cylinder big end bearing, bending the Crankshaft whilst destroying the bearing shells, ouch!

What to do?
Sell for parts or maybe find a DS 1000 motor; a proper rebuild of the motor is too costly for me at this time. So I spend the next 2 months looking for the right engine but nothing, then on Ebay I see one for sale, but at 22k miles and without any history I feel this would be a step backwards.
Surfing the web, I return to Duc cutters (duccutters.com/KevinAckerman ā€¦ tretta.tpl) for another look at the Multistretta Project, I kinda like the idea but feel the 999 would be too aggressive.

I need a Fun-Tourer.

After some thought, the Idea of a 748/749 engine in the Multi chassis seems to me a good bet, the extra HP should give similar power although maybe I will lose a bit of the grunt coming out of corners. The engines both weigh a similar amount. Coolant will add around 6lbs plus 3lbs for the Radiator. So I would still have a 200 kilo dry bike.

Just as the idea begins to form in my head along comes a 749s engine with full service history and 9.3k miles, I drive to Italia Moto in Lincoln.
Have a look and a chat about the engines history. I also manage to get the full wiring loom + the airbox , Injector setup and the Radiator for a little more cash + great people to deal with. Thanks to Terry (Storeman) and Ducati Technicians in the Workshop.

Once home the frame is offered up and at first all looks well, then as the frame is bolted into the engine mounts it appears that the Swingarm bolthole is out of alignment. Further measuring shows the Swingarm mount in the engine is bored 5mm lower than the Multistrada engine.
So now I guessed that the swop was going to have many more minor problems to solve.

After thinking I could weld the frame myself and saying so on Multistrada.net, I soon realized from the feedback, (thanks 2hlwf8 aka Patrick for the wake up call) that this was a stupid idea and that I needed to find someone who did frame welding for a living.

Enter Malcolm of MB Customs. mbcustoms.co.uk/
He has a Workshop nearby and builds specials and Drag bikes for a living.

Iā€™m sure Malcolm along with a few others think I am nuts, but he agreed to do the alterations needed.
So with the frame sent to MB Customs I sent the Swingarm off to be powder coated.
All new Bearings and Seals would be put in the Swingarm and also the front wheel and headstock.
I got Tapered Bearings for the Headstock, the old Bearings were really notchy but because of the wide bars I had not noticed how bad they really were!
I found all the bearings fairly simple to change, although not something I have done a lot of before.
I checked over the hub and removed the large Angular contact bearing to check it. These are expensive and luckily mine is in good serviceable condition so it was refitted.
I replaced the seals on the hub to brake bracket, these help to stop crap getting to the needle roller in the hub.
Next thing was to find a virgin ECU for the 749, this was quickly sorted, thanks to Peter at Pro Twins.
At around the same time Malcolm phoned to say the frame was ready.

To keep the geometry of the bike as near standard as possible Malcolm had mounted the Swingarm to the engine and frame and then cut out the rear engine mounts and welded in the 2 new ones he had made from Chromium molybdenum steel tube, the front mounts were left alone.      
		As I had also asked for the air box to be fitted, Malcolm had removed several cross members and repositioned them to allow fitment. The Headstock was also reinforced at the same time.

Once the frame was back at home I built it up again to check everything fitted.

Next problem was that there was no gap between the top cam cover and the frame, angle grinder to the rescue; I now have 1.5mm.

Would the top belt cover come off with the engine in the frame? Answer= no.

Snags at the base, solution was to cut the cover in half!

Thanks to imnala of Multistrada.net for the idea.

Will the fuel tank/seat unit fit;
I already knew that the answer to this would be no.

The engine sits higher in the frame and I now also have 2 cams that take up more space at the top end, the only thing to do was cut the tank!!! Iā€™ll write about the repair later on.
Malcolm had also modified the rear header so we would be able to keep the exhaust route the same.
I.e. exiting through the Swingarm, he also put 2 stubs on the front of the frame to take the radiator. With everything double-checked for fit the frame was sent for Powder coating.
I managed to get the finished frame back on the 23rd of December 2011, which was lucky as I had the coming week off work.
This time the build was for real, any errors now and I would have to find work arounds or have the frame powder coated twice, ouch!
The engine and Swingarm fitted without any drama, I had put new timing belts on whilst I had the 749 on the bench and used the 110hz method (Microphone and Laptop) to tension them.
Bit of a sod to get right and my first attempt too! So I took my time, constantly referring to the invaluable CA Cycleworks video for Testastrettas.
I used Dayco belts that came from Stein Dinse in Germany, these are a lot less to buy than genuine Duc and as all the fuel pipes on the 749 are Dayco, they probably supply the belts as well. I know some of you will say Gates are the only belt supplier, but in my experience I have found that large automotive concerns usually use more than one supplier, there is sound reasoning for this approach because if one supplier has problems it doesnā€™t affect production.

Next job was to fit the steering head tapered bearings and triple tree, then the forks, so far ok.
Forgot to mention earlier, also replaced top and bottom chain guides on the Swingarm, The bottom guide was worn through at the leading edge and the chain had started to attack the alloy Swingarm, something you may want to check especially if running a 14 tooth front sprocket!!!

Thoughts had now turned to the control cables.

I had to make my own up using the ends and adjusters from the 749, correct measurement is essential to make it all work, the 749 also has a cold start cable (no stepper motor here) so with that one made as well my Silver Solder technique has improved slightly from zero.

As you will have guessed the left hand bar control needs to have a cold start lever, a complete unit was found on Ebay.

Time to get the wiring loom in place, of course having 2 looms, one from the Multi, one from the 749 has, I think, made the job a little easier, not for the faint hearted though!
Everything connects, including the headlight adjuster. I am using the Multistrada instrument panel to keep the original look!

There is not a connection for the oil cooler temp as this is covered by the water temp pickup.

The front mounted Radiator has been a bugger to get right, I believe Iā€™m there now, lost count of the mounts I have made and binned. Thanks to Steve C for the Alloy bar.

If you need to remove the fuel gauge sender unit from within the tank, take extra care; I managed to break the (gone brittle with age) tab, which locks the white sender tube into the black base. Base is Ā£52, if you damage the O-ring they are Ā£18 and the sender units are around Ā£56 all plus 20% vat in the UK. Luckily I only needed the Base.

My local Ducati dealership have been fantastic, any part from a tiny O ring or bolt to a quick change Sprocket carrier has been either in stock or ordered and arrived within a few days. Nothing has been too much trouble and lots of useful advice given freely, usually with a tea or coffee and a smile. Thanks to Brett, Peter, Rob and Everyone else at Pro Twins. protwins.co.uk/

Today 22/01/12 I have done a test repair on the fuel tank, all has gone well so far, and after the epoxy had time to set I bashed the repaired area with a hammer. Its stuck fast, which is good news. This is the product I used: - Quiksteel Plastic Tank Repair Kit.
When time allows and ambient temperatures are right, the Tank will be properly repaired with Quiksteel and treated with Caswell to create an inner liner, I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone, by sealing the Tank against future fuel additive problems and hopefully reinforcing my repair!

Photos of the build here: - flickr.com/photos/73219127@N ā€¦ 8650365559

and here: - flickr.com/photos/73219127@N ā€¦ 1267017152

This evening 23rd January with cables in place the Battery was put on and the Bike powered up!

Only 1 EFI fault, 4.1 air sensor. This was easily fixed by running a wire from air sens neg output, pin 23 on instrument panel to the sensor, I had not used this as the 749 uses a neg from the loom direct?

Only other issue I have noted is the fuel level sensor seems to operate the Temp gauge. This is almost certainly a problem with pin 17 (there is a mismatch) and I will report when further investigations have taken place.
26th Jan, I have used pin 23 on the body side of the 749 ECU. This is where the cable goes on the Multistrada ECU for the fuel gauge sensor, I guess the signal is then sent up the Can line to the instrument panel.
I am not sure if the 749 ECU supports this, but if a no go, I will not worry too much. As all owners know, the gauge is about as much use as a pair of tits on a Goldfish. Lol
28th Jan, had a re think over the oil cooler today. The cooler pipes run right where the water hoses are, just in front of the Alternator and trying to fiddle them either behind or in front of the hoses is a no go, as they crush the hoses!

My solution will be to fit an oil cooler to the existing mounts below the front cylinder, same as the Monster.
Now in the middle of March, things have slowed down a bit on the bike.
I now have an oil cooler bolted up to the horizontal head; the new chain is on order and should arrive soon.
The wheels are now going to be Matt black, my eldest girl made an executive decision. I just could not decide between Matt and Gloss.

As soon as the wheels are done and tyres on, I need to get the exhaust finished off at Malcolms.
Then need warm weather to Caswell the fuel tank and ride the thing.

I now have the chain in place and the gearing sorted thanks to Gearing commander, gearingcommander.com/ 14 front 42 rear.

The potential top speed @ 10500 rpm equates to 146 mph.
This gives me 5030 revs at 70 mph in 6th gear and I can live with that for now.

I may end up using a 41-tooth rear sprocket as the chain wear rate is much improved with the even/odd setup.

Now in the middle of June. The Tank/seat unit has had the hole repaired using the Quikseal epoxy and the inside of the unit is coated with Caswell.

The Tank has expanded by some 10 to 15mm even though it has sat empty and well vented since last October; I hope further swelling will now cease.

The Airbox is modded to allow fitment of the Tank unit.

With the Radiator now finally fitted and the panels cut to allow fitment over the Rad itā€™s time to bolt everything up and fill with fluids.

Fresh oil and filter + Coolant and Fuel.

Time to turn the engine over, firstly I turn by hand with the spark plugs removed, hopefully this will get oil to all the essential moving parts.

Next I spin the starter with the plugs out, and top up the oil.

Pop the plugs in put the tank on and fire her up. She starts and ticks over, quickly flick the key to off and re-check the oil and coolant.

Take her for a quick spin after re starting and warming up for a few minutes.
Check for leaks.

All thatā€™s left to do (for now) is to have the Headers joined to the existing Mid pipe, I have booked Malcolm at MB Customs for that one, then itā€™s Dyno & Mot time.

Dyno shows 53ftlbs at 5600rpm and 97.9 bhp at the back wheel at 10500 rpm. She rides well, the handling feels unchanged and Iā€™m pleased with the end result :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone who helped out, especially Peter H who always has a cheery smile and the time to help when needed whilst wondering what I was going to borrow next.

Rick

Great story and superb looking bike, it would make a great article in the magazine.

Thanks for that Riccardo it makes a very good read. :sunglasses:
I bet your chuffed as you now have a very special bike, that looks IMO good enough to be a genuine factory model.
A fairly easy way to gain more grunt/Torque without losing too much power (almost un-noticeable) from the topend is to advance the inlet cams.
Or convert the motor to around 853cc using pistons and barrels from a 999ā€¦(a good big 'un will almost always beat a good little 'un.)
Combine these two modā€™s and youā€™d end up with a real weapon! :open_mouth:

Is it a plastic fuel tank?
Iā€™ve heard of problems in the States with the Ducati plastic tanks deforming due to the (higher % than the UKā€™s) Ethanol content in the fuel.
A mate of mine with a carbon tank on his 888SP5 had it coated by the people at Caswel but it gave problems/leaked after a while, so it had to be returned to them.

I found the details about fitting the swingingarm interesting, my knowledge is from overcoming this problem comes from the opposite direction,
converting a single sided arm motor to accept a duel sided arm, this involves machining the crankcases, making up bossā€™ to reposition the pivot and then welding them into the cases.

Steve R

Thanks for the comments.

Martin748, I will consider doing a bit for the magazine.

Steve R, The Tank is made from ballistic nylon, strong but ethanol destroys it, mine had done a few continental tankfuls of 10% ethanol added to plomb and i had left half a tank in for 2 months :unamused:
I like your thoughts re more power from the 750.

Rick

Just for info CJS can do re-mapping of the standard ECU so no need for PC3. He can also do ā€˜customā€™ map.

Thanks re CJS. Have always heard good reports about Chris.
I have gone the Ducatidiag route, dumped PC3 and flashed ECU with DP s map. Bike runs really well.