B&B's in Somerset/Cornwall.

I would appreciate some advice from Forum Members, perhaps residing in the south West, or from anyone who can recommend a b&b in this lovely part of England. I have the opportunity to knock off a few more places to visit, on my “bucket list”, on the last week of this month [August]. Whilst I have travelled extensively in my 50 years on the road, both here and the Continent, there are a some places that I haven’t been to. Exmoor, Dartmoor and Lands End have eluded my presence, so I aim to put this to right in a couple of weeks. Some digs that I have found on the web, are really out of my price range [more than £50] and I don’t want to camp, so, I’m maybe “searching for a needle in a haystack,” trying to find a cheap one, but you never know, someone on here may have done this trip and could recommend a decent place to sleep for a night.
Cheers
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Christ mate I’ve just Googled up a few that I know of and the prices are stunning, £50 a night in your dreams chap! :open_mouth:
If not for the fact that I’m actually heading up to Liverpool this/next Saturday morning with my children and then over to the Isle of Man sometime next week for the MGP/Classic TT, I would have offered to put you up in my home.
(A fellow Ducatisti/888SP4 owner is putting me and family up FOC actually on the circuit at Glen Vine)
Quite a few biker/Ducati owning mates have stopped with me over the years FOC, but it does involve a few beers in the local pubs of an evening.
I live in Callington in the Tamar Vally almost exactly 1/2 way between Bodmin and Dartmoor, they’re less than 10 miles in either direction, I can see them both from my home.
It’s a 1/2 hour ride to either the North or South coast of East Cornwall, with some great twisty roads in every direction.
Callington sits on a crossroads it’s as near as damn it to 10 miles from Saltash, Liskeard, Tavistock and Launceston.
Standing in my back garden I can see a farm about 3/4’s of a mile away and then a village waaaay off in the distance, other than that it’s just countryside as far as the eye can see all the way up to the high hills of North Bodmin Moor.
I’ll be staying in Garston from Saturday afternoon On Springfield Road.

Steve R

Hi Dave, depends how long you’re going to stay in any area for and what you’re really looking for …I have found an excellent B+B at Mawgan Porth - Blue Bay, bluebaycornwall.co.uk I’ve stayed there many times. Food is excellent (they sometimes do evening meals), accommodation clean, great ambiance. I’ve got a list (somewhere!) of other friendly b+bs :wink:

Leave the key under the mat Steve and I’ll make myself at home. Seriously though, thanks for the input and enjoy the I.O.M. Incidentally on that TT topic, how much is the Steam Packet charging you for taking your bike across? I did hear that it was over £200. I ask because there is a transport firm in Haydock [Lancs] who will transport your bike over for £60 on their regular night runs. You will have to pay as a passenger on the boat, or even cheaper, fly from Liverpool and collect your machine from the firms depot in Bradda. Maybe an idea, because I have been told that the ferry was booked up weeks ago.
Thanks also to Desmo. I have sent an e-mail off to your contact to ask for the cost of a single night lodging. I tried to phone them but got no answer.
Cheers Guys
Dave

Dave.
Bude is a good base for doing Devon & North Cornwall, nice town, and some great roads inland for there.
Kevin.

Thanks for the advice Kevin. Will check Bude’s prices and room availability.
Dave

Just realised that you asked for details in Somerset too - try Whitecroft Farm B&B, Pylle, Shepton Mallet (I’ve stayed there a few times also!) www.whitecroft-bandb.co.uk

[size=150]Hi, There is a b and b run by a Ducati owner in Perranporth, Cornwall. Contact Nick on nick@trevianlodge.co.uk and mention the Ducati Cornwall branch. I don’t know how much they charge, probably more than £50 as most things are down here!
If you’re down on the first Thursday of the month check us out at the Cornwall branch meet at Zelah.
All the best, Guy
[/size]

Cheers for that heads up Capn Guy. I have dropped Nick an e-mail and I await his reply. Thanks again to Desmo. I have added that address to my list.
Many thanks lads
Dave

Many thanks for your help in planning my SW Trip. Unfortunately the b&b’s that were recommended to me, never answered my e-mails. But nevertheless I appreciate your help.
I was able to get some good deals [considering it’s the height of the season and Bank holiday as well]. First night at Wivelscombe on the edge of Exmoor, b&b and evening meal £50. Hotel in Newquay,[2nd night] £45 inc breakfast and 2 nights in Bovey Tracy inc breakfast £80. So I’m happy with those prices. I found all of the places on Laterooms.com and speaking direct with the owners, managed to get myself a cheaper rate. Maybe not ethical, but needs must.
Weather, with the exception of Saturday, looking fair [pardon the pun, Widecombe and Tom Cobbley].
So cheers and thanks again.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Returned home this afternoon after one of the best riding breaks I have had for many a year. You guys who live in Devon & Cornwall are truly blessed with some stunning scenery and fabulous roads as your playground, which made me rather jealous of you. I rode just over 800 miles ticking off Lands End, Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks in almost wall to wall sunshine and when I was able to overtake the many camper vans struggling up the steep inclines, the roads became empty and just twisty enough for me to have a little play on my ST3.
Many thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I’m truly in your debt.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool