Chain Oilers

Coming off a Deauville and then a CX, as I have, so therefore I’ve had no need to oil a chain. I did fit a Scottoiler to a Bandit a few moons ago, but to fit the latest to my Ducati, means a fairing off job. I fancy the Tutoro gravity oiler, which seems to be cheaper and a lot easier to fit.
Has any Forum member any views they would like to add to this thread.
Cheers
Dave Hughes

I used to have one on the Monster but took it off as it never worked properly and always looked messy.

Simple answer here Yosser…

DON’T F’KIN FIT ONE!

I’m fed up with explaining why not to/debating with people on the net, but if you want more info’ ping me a PM and I’ll ping you back my phone number.

Steve R

I listened !!!

Thanks for your input and advice on this subject, Mr.R and Martyn.
Steve says he is fed up explaining as to why we shouldn’t fit oilers to our bikes, but where was it debated? I did a search and only these threads came up. For what it’s worth I used to swear by them when I was a courier and yes they are messy things, but they saved me money. Doing high mileages, I used to go through sprockets & chains 3-4 times a year, but the oiler did save me the cost of at least one set a year. I’ve sent an e-mail to Tutoro asking, has an oil been developed that doesn’t fly everywhere? I will let you know what the company says. There is an oil spray on the market [which I have used on the bike] that stays on the chain,[Profi Dry Lube] but It costs about £15 a can, almost double the cost of the bog standard stuff. It comes down to how many miles you will be doing. Using the top oil in a can, will be ok if your mileage is low, but expensive if it is high and if there is an oil that doesn’t whizz off as soon as you move, well, an auto oiler maybe a better option.
That’s my penny’s worth, but if someone has a better solution, than I can be persuaded to change my mind.
Cheers
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Well as I posted earlier it’s been debated time and time again on many forums.
I’ve offered to speak with you over the phone, it’s up to you chap it’s your neck that’s at risk…

Steve R

Well, Mr. R. I seem to have got you hot under the collar over a simple question. If you say it’s my neck that could be in trouble and would let me know why in a phone converstion, why not spread the word and let other Ducati riders know, here on this Forum. Surely, if there is a safety issue with these oilers, pass on your knowledge. That to me, would be a charitable thing to do.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

I’m not hot under the collar chap, I’m just more than a bit fed up with this debate.
I’d also find it a lot easier to discuss it over the phone, as I find one finger typing more than just a bit of a chore.
I don’t want to get dragged into yet another debate over this sort of kit.
Modern X and O ring chains are very good, if you keep them clean and use a decent chain spray* they’ll last a long time and won’t put your life at risk.
I lubed my chain before setting off for the TT, lubed it once during the week using a “One Shot” MOTOREX race lube spray can, cleaned my chain when I got home and then sprayed it again.1,2OO miles on the Island trip resulted in me having to adjust the rear chain by one flat of a 8mm nut.
I’ve covered 2,500 miles in the last month on my '92 851/916cc bike, (mostly at 3 figure speeds) so I don’t consider myself as just a sunny day rider.

*I use Wurth Dry Chain Lube, as it doesn’t turn into something resembling greasy grinding paste and also doesn’t lube the tyre and entire rear end of my bikes,
putting my neck/life at risk.
I also use DID ERV3 520 race chain, it’s the lightest but also the strongest chain for it’s size, it ain’t cheep (at around £120 for a length) but IMHO and experience it’s just about as good as it gets.
I also favour Renthal or Afram hard anodised alloy rear sprockets and Renthal gearbox sprockets.
So once again ping me a PM and we can swap phone numbers, I’m more than happy to discuss this with you over the phone.

Steve R

on the plus side for scotoilers, have them fitted to all my bikes, chains last for almost for ever and no problems to date

oil fling? the oil flow is easily adjustable and set correctly this is not an issue

Now Steve, that’s the kind of reply that will educate a lot of Ducati Forum members.
It contained a description of the chain oil products that you use; the mileage gap in between chain servicing and the strain the drive was under. I learn more from reading blogs on forums than actually contributing to the debates.
What Steve has written will now go into the search bank and no doubt help other riders, who have need of this advice in the future.
I did as Steve suggested and looked at this question on the web and there were a lot of guys who think exactly the same. What I didn’t know is that modern ‘O’ ring chains are sort of sealed for life and don’t need the regular oiling like chains in the past, they just need the occassional cleaning and oiling to keep them supple. There were guys, just like me and Kiwi, who have used them in the past and have found them to do the job well, so go and install them on every bike we own. I’m really in a dilemma, perhaps the time has come to change our minds to the modern way of thinking and invest in quality chain oil in a spray can.
Maybe!!
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

I find a lot of people don’t clean chains but just keep putting lube on, turning the muck on there as Steve says into grinding past.

I personally just don’t like oilers which is why I took mine off, had 1 chain on Monster in 8 years and it still looks good, 1 on 748 in 10 years, they just get cleaned and looked after.

[size=150]What do you use to clean them?[/size]

Paraffin or white spirit applied with an “El Cheapo” 1" paint brush works for me.

Steve R

There are guys on Youtube using WD40. Have you seen the price of paraffin these days?
Dave Hughes.

I use Parrafin or a product by Rock Oil, it is sold in a smaller bottle than Parrafin, can’t remember what it’s called though.

Nice clean chains look good as well

I haven’t a clue how much paraffin costs these days/ but I’m bloody sure that it can’t cost as much cc for cc than WD40???
The Cornish, Scots, Hebrews and Yorkshire Men have a reputation of being tight aka turd skinners, I’ve never heard the same about Scousers?

Steve R

Thanks for good advice.
I have a Scott oiler on ST2 (it was on bike when brought it). It’s not in use as most of the oil seems to miss chain.
I remember many years ago taking chain off bikes and boiling it in some sort of oil on top of the kitchen stove. Mum used to love it! I remember chains lasting loads of miles then.
I don’t seem to be able to get chains to last like that any more. I need a new chain on ST2 soon. What’s the best reasonably priced chain I should buy?

I’ve had Scotoilers before and I really rate them. If they’re properly installed and set up they’re a really good bit of kit. If you learn how to adjust them, ie: drop the flow down when it’s warm etc, then you can’t go wrong. Do we really think that Scotoiler, in a world full of litigation, can sell a dangerous accessory? The only issues I’ve seen are from poor fitting and bad adjustment. I also use WD40 to clean my chains, I spray a bit on a rag and then rub the chain over. Some people live in the past on here :wink:

Well I live in the deep SW, when I set off for a jaunt/weekend run early in the morning, (6am and it’s cold) heading for the Lake District etc, I don’t expect to have to adjust a Scottoiller every time that I stop for fuel during the day’s ride, as the ambient temp’ rises and that’s what I’ve found you need to do…
But then possibly I cover more miles than most in a single day??
The sun comes out, the sun goes in, it starts to rain and the temp’ drops etc,etc etc…
When this happens I’ve found that the Scottoiler either stops working all together, or dumps all of it’s contents over the rear of the bike…Not good in my opinion/experience!
I’ve been in contact with the people at Scottoiler and they admit that this is the case.
Mine dumped all/the rest of it’s contents over the rear wheel in 100 miles, but it had only used a 1/3rd over 150 miles earlier in the day.
After that I contacted several owners who’d used them and guess what?
They’d all had the same problem*. :open_mouth:
After that I removed it and now stick with spray chain lube, I know it’s there because I put it there, it’s not going to put my life at risk by covering the rear end in lube.
…and when I need more lube I spray it again…
It works for me, but if you want to use a Scottoiler then crack on and I hope you don’t ever come across the problems that i found with them.
IMHO they’re shit and dangerous shit as well!

*The amount of “Nob heads” who stated that they were wonderful, but then recalled there was that one time when it had dumped all it’s oil over the rear of the bike, was astounding?
One of them (who swore by them) even recalled how it had happened whilst riding over the Alps, on all the hairpin bends on one of the passes.

Steve R