Desert Sled Scrambler Press Launch

We have had a successful launch of the new Desert Sled Scrambler. Our press launch was held in the Tabernas Desert in Spain, and as usual for a Scrambler launch, was quite different from a normal Ducati launch. Below is the article from DucatiUK.com. For links to press reviews or to watch the video review please look at the article. :smiley: http://www.ducatiuk.com/news/desert_sled_scrambler_press_launch/index.do

The experience a journalist has in ‘the land of joy’ is almost as important as the test of the bike, after all the Scrambler brand is all about lifestyle, personalisation, self-expression and enjoying life to the full.

With this in mind the launch of the Desert Sled Scrambler was held in the Tabernas Desert, Spain, Europe’s only desert and location for the filming of many a spaghetti Western. Therefore it seemed only natural to base the launch of the Desert Sled at a Western film set called Fort Bravo.

Desert Sled may seem a strange name for a bike but its name has relevance from the 60’s and 70’s where road bikes were stripped back, wheels, tyres and suspension were modified to cope with the unforgiving desert terrain and big engine skid plates were fitted to shield the bike from the rocks, stones and desert – this is was what gave the Desert Sled its name.

Eight journalists represented the UK for this launch ranging in off road ability from ‘Dutch’ who although rides flat track and motocross was more at home with the daily commute to the Bike Shed in Shoreditch to a Dakar rider, Llewelyn Pavey. The route contained a greater amount of off road miles than road miles, but with the zero degree conditions a more strenuous ride to stay warm was not such a bad thing.

The journalists all headed out of ‘Scrambler town’ into the Desert hoping to get all the pictures and video done before the expected rain arrived. For the rest of us we settled into the local saloon of what felt more like ice station zebra than Fort Bravo.

After the riding was done and the journalist posse rode back into town and it was a chance to discuss the bike and find out their feedback on the bike. Trying to get the journalists to say anything negative about the bike was almost impossible which showed that Ducati had come up with the near perfect Scrambler for on and off road and for journalist Marc Potter it had just confirmed a purchasing decision he had already made.

On the right side of the page there are a few links to some of the UK reviews and also at the top of the page there is a video review from Bikeworld. In the video review the rider Martin Fitz-Gibbons states that a bolt at the top of the rear shock caused discomfort – please note the bikes on test were pre-production and this will not be the case for the production bikes that will be available at the beginning of April.

I have a very good friend who is also the club secretary has just ordered one, can’t wait to have a go.

Another bike to be added to the want when I’m rich list!
Kevin.

I may be running one in soon, so I’ll give you my review soon!

I’ve been riding one for a couple of days now and I’m quite impressed. It’s just like being back on the road on a trail bike, except these road biased knobbly tyres work well on the road. The Scrambler range is just so good for enjoying being outside on the road and feeling free. Oh and with the Desert Sled you’ve got a good view of the road being so high up.

[size=150]I need to try one. Looking forward to GT Motorcycle demo ride.[/size]