Hello from Newbie in Lincoln

Hi Everybody,
Well I guess I’m classed as a mature rider and live in Lincoln, and I’ve been promising myself a Ducati for a number of years, but always ended up with another Japanese machine. This week I sold the Kawasaki and managed to make the transition and bought a ST4 2001in yellow. (Still getting use to the colour, it may have go to Dream Machine over winter for a make over, only time will tell)
I haven’t had time to ride it much yet, but the few small journeys I have done, I can’t help wishing I had done it years ago.

Mark

Welcome, great chioce of machine. We all very friendly and a little mad.

Apart from mrR, he’s really mad!

Keef

Hi Mark
Welcome to the mad world of Ducati ownership.

I would agree that Mr R is really mad - about Ducatis (and Cornwall), but that keef he’s really raving mad, my case rests with just one word - sidecars.

ST4 - good choice,
Yellow - your sanity is now questionable as well.

If you are riding a yellow Ducati round Lincoln then sooner or later you will bump into Sandy on his modified Monster - its yellow as well - and he’s mad.

By the way I’m Steve, I’m sane and I ride a RED 900SS or 916SPS depending on my mood and destination.

Local branch meetings are 2nd Tuesday each month, 7:30pm at the Hope Tavern, Holton le Moor, just by the level crossing on the A46 between Market Rasen and Caistor. Arriving in a car is acceptable in inclement weather - none of us are that mad.

Mr R here,
All I can say after pulling the underpants over my head and putting the pencils up my nose is…

Wibble!

I’m also a mature Ducati rider :unamused: who’s owned and ridden them (not a lot of owners an say that!) now for over 30 years.
Only this afternoon I’ve been out in my workshop and changed the oil, oilfilter, cleaned the strainer and popped a new pair of sparkplugs in my 851/916cc bike.
I’ll be firing her up 6.50am tomorrow morning letting her warm up for 10 min’s, before setting off to work on her.

Don’t listen to Keef, he’s lost any grasp on reality many years ago, fortunately Barb’ (Mrs Keef) and William ‘the young master’ keep him in check…

Steve R

Make your mind up. Are you Steve or Sane, at least I know who I am! :laughing:

So it seems I have registered with the correct site, for the insane and slightly unhinged, just my type of people. I do most of my own servicing, repairs etc, don’t believe in paying out money for a job I can do myself, although looking through the service manual it looks like there maybe a couple of things which may have to be trusted to my local dealer until I accumulate all the necessary tools, or make them, so no doubt I will be looking for some advise / guidance in the very near future.

First job - noisey clutch -my solution is fit louder exhausts. Sorted !

Mark

A trick with the dry clutch is to whip it out, blow or brush the basket and plates clean of dust and refit the plates slightly rotated to the way they came out. Extends clutch life no end!

I did this on a Monster that was puling a sidecar at every oil change and the plates did not wear down at all.

Keith

A trick with the dry clutch is to whip it out, blow or brush the basket and plates clean of dust and refit the plates slightly rotated to the way they came out. Extends clutch life no end!

I did this on a Monster that was puling a sidecar at every oil change and the plates did not wear down at all.

Keith

Such a good tip Keef felt the need to give it twice. :unamused:

I’ve found that the friction material lasts a loooong time, it’s the tangs that wear out as they knock back and forth in the basket.
That’s when the clutch gets really LOUD!

Steve R

yes indeed, that is the main reason for moving the plates round after you have cleaned them up!