Help.

Hi i’m in desperate need of some advice, when my 748 was last serviced the guy said the clutch had been packed as far as it would go and could last for 2 or 20,00 miles it was a gamble. I obviously want to sort this but have no idea whether i just need new plates or an entire clutch can anyone shed some light? Dave

Hello Dave.
Is it slipping or making a squealing sound as you pull off?
If not then it’s probably OK for a while.
The clutch is made up of the plates, (plain & friction), that outer basket, and the inner drum.
What you need to change depends on how much wear there is, if the plates are worn then you will need the change them, but wear can also occur to the outer clutch drum which is ally and to a lesser extent to the inner clutch drum which is steel.
Yo will need to examine the slots in the outer drum to see if there are steps where the friction plates have worn grooves in the outer drum slots, if they are bad you should probably change that too while it out, the inner drum is less likely to need changing.
Kevin.

All good advice from Kevin, but the 748’s had a steel outer drum as standard.

If you can pull the plates out and put some pic’s up of the drum, basket and plates, it would be very easy to tell/say how F’ckd the parts are. :wink:

Steve R

Cheers for your replies,
All is well when i pull off but when i change gear i can feel a slight clicking into place through the lever( hard to describe). I’ll try to post pics asap of the plates.
cheers dave

Great help chaps, just got another bike and there is an advise on service on clutch plates and basket, will have a gander !!

corse sand paper on steel discs will extend their life a tad if they are only marginal

That’s handy. I’ll keep watching this thread. When I’ve got Monster starter problem sorted! The clutch on the ST is next on the list. After problems I had going to and at SVR this year. It’s all working fine now, but I haven’t touched the clutch since I bought it and I’ve done 25000 miles on it since then. The bikes just turned 50000 so is in need of a present. :slight_smile:

A clutch stack is made up of friction plates and plain steel plates. Over time the friction material wears, causing slip. The steel plates come in 1.5 and 2mm thicknesses (plus usually one concave plate identified by a punched dot). You can make up for some of the wear in the friction plates by swapping 1.5mm plates for 2mm plates, but there will come a point when you will need to change the friction plates & adjust the stack height by using the right number of 1.5 & 2mm plates.

Oh, and avoid mixing steel friction plates and alloy basket; it’s a recipe for quick wear.