Monster 821 engine oil only Shell Advance?

Hi

It clearly states on my Monster 821 to use only Shell Advance engine oil… I’ve still got some Petronas Synthium Moto 4SX (10W-40 4-stroke synthetic oil) left at home - can this be used or it is really a big NO-NO?

Thanks,
Brett

So long as it’s motorcycle (as opposed to car) oil you’ll be fine.

Ducati have a tie in with Shell, as long as its the same spec from a recognised manufacturer it will be OK.
Does it say which Shell advance to use?

Kevin.

Thanks guys.

In the owners manual, it’s recommended to use Shell Advance Ultra 4T SAE 15W-50 but also other oil viscosities are allowed according to the ambient temperature.

It seems my 10W-40 is okay… but maybe play it safe and stick to the recommended 15W-50 (Shell or not).
Monster 821 engine oil.jpg

If you have 10W-40 I’d use it. As far as I know you can mix different viscosities if you don’t have enough for a full oil change. The main things are that the oil must be a m/c oil, synthetic and multigrade.

Brett.
Have a look here, these people seem OK, and they offer a discount to club members. (see Desmo 229 page 6)
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-784-15w50-motorcycle-engine-oil.aspx
Kevin.

If you look at their ebay store they’re cheaper than the discount!! That’s where I get my oil. And they do Mahle oil filters too.