ST3 Sidestand

Forgive me if this subject has been brought up before, but if there is one thing that lets my ST3 down, it’s the sidestand. I read somewhere that the sidestand is the achilles heel of a few Ducati bikes. The problem with mine, is that it leans far too much over. I’ve had the stand off a few times and hammered the “U” coupling to make it tighter on the locating lug. However it doesn’t last long before it’s leaning again. On flat surfaces, it’s no problem, but the camber on some roads, makes it lean frighteningly too close for comfort. I was thinking of welding a thick piece of steel on to the foot of the stand, which should lower the lean angle somewhat, but what does the Forum think. Has any other rider been faced with similar concerns on their bike?
Cheers
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Dave, I’ve had a similar problem with the sidestand on my 900 Monster, I think mine’s worn away on the foot, so I had a 1 6mm plate welded on as a extension and made it about 6mm larger all round, it’s made it far better and more stable.
Kevin.

Thanks Kevin for the re-assurance to do the same to mine.
Cheers
Dave

I’ve welded a 10mm plate on to the foot of the stand and the difference is amazing. I also squeezed the forks, on the top of the leg, tighter together, which has taken the slack out.
Thanks for your help Kevin.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Re side stand on ST3 . I agree, it does lean too far so I did as the other reply and had a plate welded on the bottom.I tried various thickness of plywood to get the thickness right before I had the plate welded because you don’t want it not lean far enough. Hope this helps.