ST4 Clutch drag

So, I took another steel plate out and it has eliminated the drag. But, there is no drive whatsoever when I let the clutch out. so the difference between dragging and not dragging or driving, is the width of one steel plate 2mm. I will take it all out again and rebuild using a variety of plates that get me the required stack height now I know what works. Thanks, Simon.

Hi, rebuilt again. I still get a clunk selecting first but at least I can get neutral at a standstill. Mt final combination has ended up with two steels at the start and two at the end, It seems ok. Theres no sign of slipping. So I,m going to run it for a while give it chance to bed in and see how it goes. Thanks for all your advice, its been much appreciated. Simon.

:+1:

Hi, Iā€™m glad itā€™s sorted for you at last, I can imagine the frustration at your end. Two steels at the start and two steels at the end is absolutely fine; two frictions rubbing against each other is not fine so as along as theres always a steel next to a friction itā€™ll be OK.

It really is a matter of 1mm or less as to whether or not the clutch drags or slips and as I said I do think itā€™s due to you have mostly 2mm steel plates in your stack when they should be 1.5mm (part from the first 2 and last 1).

A clunk when you engage first from neutral is very common and nothing to worry about. If you had an open clutch cover you would see that even when the bike is in neutral with the engine running the clutch assembly is spinning around; as soon as 1st is engaged thereā€™s a clunk and the clutch assembly stops spinning until the clutch is released and it engages and drives. Nothing to worry about here.

Iā€™d keep an eye on it and see how it goes. If it starts to drag again, or slip as plates wear, youā€™ll not do any damage to anything other than the clutch plates and they are easy and cheap enough to replace.

With regards to the alloy basket added by the previous owner, thatā€™s a common enough mod so I donā€™t think that was the cause of the issues (assuming he bought the correct one for an ST4). I believe itā€™s all down to an incorrect stack height through the use of 2mm steel plates.

What was/is your final stack height in the end? Just for my own future reference.

All the best,
Paul

Thanks again for your patience and advice. The final stack height was 38.5mm, a lot shorter than the original 41mm. There is still a touch of drag but i suspect that will go as it gets time to bed in. Cheers. Simon

1 Like