Tank bags

I have a tank bag in the garage that attaches to the tank with the aid of magnets. On previous bikes I have bought a Bagster tank cover, so I had no problem with the bag sliding or scratching the paint. However, on a trip on my old CX, [without a cover] the tank bag kept sliding about and it also scratched the tank. I simply cannot afford the cost of a cover for my ST and in truth the number of times I’m likely to use it really doesn’t justify the cost anyway. So I ask the Forum for some words of wisdom on the subject, in the hope that someone has a tried and tested method of keeping the bag in one position and a way of preventing it scratching the paintwork.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

[size=150]I use a magnet tank bag every day for work on my ST2 (apart from when I go on the Monster) I use a tea towel cut to shape of the bag. This prevents any scratches, it does move a bit sometimes but it can’t go far as your body and arms are there to stop it.
It works for me:-) [/size]

Thanks Capn, good tip. I’ve heard other riders cover their tank in cling-film or cut out the shape of the bag in an old pillow case. There is a new system on the market that locks your bag to the petrol cap surround. Givi make one. Has any member seen or used it?
Thanks again Captain.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

I am sorry that I can’t give you the product name for the thing that I use. I bought it years ago and no longer have the packaging.
It is that grippy matting that is sold to stop things slipping about on a car dashboard top. It cost about 2 ponds for a pie ce big enough to cover most of the tank.

Thanks Geoff. I’ve actually used that non-slip stuff, infact Oxford Products sell it. But when I used it on my CX it left little diamond shapes all over the tank. I actually found some soft rubbery like material in the attic and made a cover the same shape as the bag. So hopefully this will do the job. I will probably fasten a bungee on either side, just for peace of mind.
Many thanks for all your ideas and suggestions.
Cheers
Dave Hughes
Liverpool