WHEEL BEARINGS

I need help please. My ST3 has failed the MoT on front & rear wheel bearings. Can anyone help me out with the bearing numbers [not the Ducati part number]? I’m certain if I know the number of the bearing, I should be able to source them from a local bearing distibutor. I have been told that these bearings are common on most of the bikes in the Ducati range, so they are not specific to my ST3. Any help would be most appreciative.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Of course after I posted my blog, there is a section in the Search on wheel bearings and Wemoto have them listed as well. I also need brake pads. My sintered ones come in GG or HH. Reading the blurb on them, I reckon I’m pretty safe using the softer GG. What does the Forum think? I’m not a member of the “knee down at every corner brigade”.
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

SBS pads for me but only cos i used them on my race bike
sounds like any pad would suit you sir

Cheers Mark, good advice. Think I will order the bearings from Wemoto tomorrow unless someone tell me different.
Dave

HH on the road are in my experience a pain in the arse, I fit organic Ferodo Platinums they work more than OK on a road bike.
HH work OK if they’re really hot and kept hot, but on the road where you can run for miles before using them again they can cool off and be somewhat frightening, especially on cold days. :open_mouth:

Steve R

Yes Steve, that is what Wemoto have said said about HH. OK for race days, but for everyday use, which is what I do, then GG are ideal.
Gave Wemoto my order this morning and the parts will be here tomorrow. If they are, I will be made up with them.

On whipping the old bearings out, has anyone got a tip or 2 to assist me?
Dave Hughes
Liverpool

Dave.
If they are the same as on my Monster, they are a little odd, the spacer in the center is held central to the bearings so there appears to be no surface to knock them out with, but if you look carefully there is a notch in each end to get a suitable drift into.
When you get the new ones let us know what the code is for future ref, it will be on the bearing side, it may be something like 60221 2RS / C3?

Kevin.

Surely that’s should be “C3” Kev?

Steve R

Yes Steve, and don’t call me Shirley :smiley:

Yes, Shirl…I mean Kev [thanks for the laugh] will do as you say and cheers for the info. Very helpful.
Dave Hughes

The bearings have arrived from Wemoto and on the box, it says- 6005-2RS and next, which I take to be the measurements ,it reads 25 x 47 x 12 Gr 15.
I just hope I have been sent the correct ones. I have been told that the bearings in my wheels are fitted to most of the Ducati range.
Fingers crossed.
Dave

Different to the one in Monster wheels, they are SKF 62203-2RS1/C3 40x17x16 (We acctually fitted SKF 62203-2RS1)
17mm spindle on the Monsters, so it’s a 25mm on the ST range?
Kevin.

I’ve fitted 5 spoke wheels* (possibly from a ST?) to my 851/916 bike so I had to play around a little to make them fit, I was also using a alloy 20mm front spindle.
IIRC? The 25mm ID bearings are also narrower than those fitted to the 17/20mm ID front spindles/wheels fitted to the earlier bikes.

*Cheap route to lighter weight and better looking wheels.

Steve R

The ST3 is sorted now, so many thanks for the help and advice. I was also chuffed with the speed Wemoto despatched the parts [24 hours by courier for less than a fiver]. The front bearings came out easily with the help of a screwdriver, but the rear were more troublesome. I suppose there is a special tool for the job, but I had to use an extra long and old screwdriver, [because the wheel is wider than the front] put a slight bend in the end using a blow lamp. This was so I could get the blade in the small nick in the centre sleeve to get behind the bearing. But it kept coming out. In the end I ground a large flat on the topside of the screwdriver to allow the blade to get in deeper behind the bearing and this worked.
I post this in the hope that it may be of use in the future to other riders.

As a digression. This afternoon I thought I had a gearbox problem. It would not go into first gear. All the others were ok. It’s been a bit iffy for a few weeks now, but today, it gave up the ghost. Of course all nasty thoughts of how much will it cost go right through your head, so you can imagine my relief to discover that the gear lever was hitting the side stand.
Relieved and thankful Dave Hughes

I bet you’re not the first one to do that with the gear lever Dave!