Just spent a very satisfying day making a fancy new wiring loom for the SS. The old one had melted and the promised improved loom bought at some conciderable cost from Italy was identical- so presumably was liable to melting as well!. So (while ducking as Mr R throws a load of I told you so statements at me) I decided to embark on the great adventure of making my own desighn of loom. So far so good (but then it is my job- be it on trains!) I’ve even taken the load that as standard goes through the ignition swith through two 30a contactors and used larger gauge wire, while reducing the amount of wire used. I’ve moved the regulator to under and to the front of the tank for improved airflow and meaning a shorter cable run, as per the Pantah (not that they were any better!) and have replaced the Boshe units with a fancy electronic box that means I can play lap tops with the flash boys at track days- mind you I have not actualy tried to fire her up yet! I’ve replaced the fuse box with a modern jobbie and mounted it where the regulator used to be for ease of access and the extra space due to the lack of regulater means I have been able to invest in a larger battery for those alternator failure moment rides home.
Oh and I also fitted a 916 alternator!
Apart from reducing the load through the ignition switch I am hoping that the relay/contactor set up means that the battery will no longer leak off its valuable electrickery when parked up for a week or so, as it will be physicaly cut off from the bikes electrical system.
I’ve left the standard Nippon Denso coils on in the original water sucking position for now, but that might all change!
I found that the original headlamp had rusted through so have replaced this with a Monster/BMW item, slightly bigger but fits in the gap just right.